Entertainment, ¡Viva Mexico! Festival
Image: Smoking Mirror Photography
Join the celebration of Mexico’s colourful cultural traditions at the Immigration Museum on Sunday 4 May.
Australia's Mexican community is small in number but that doesn't stop it from making a big splash in Melbourne's cultural life. With Mexican restaurants around every corner and Frida Kahlo flower crowns a mainstay of the festival scene - it is clear that Melburnians' obsession with Mexico is not slowing down.
And who knows Mexico better than Mexicans?
Viva Mexico is a one-day festival collaboratively developed with Victorian's Mexican community to showcase this vibrant culture and show you there is more to Mexico than sombreros and tacos! Viva Mexico will feature food stalls, cooking demonstrations, performances, talks, workshops and wrestlers. Yes, Mexican wrestlers.
Enjoy a variety of authentic food prepared by some of Melbourne's best Mexican chefs and learn the difference between Tex Mex and authentic Mexican cooking. Meet this passionate community and immerse yourself in music and dance performances, food, film, art and handicrafts as well as family fun activities.
Viva Mexico Festival activities:
- Feast on tamales and chilaquiles, sopes and flautas (mini tacos rolled up like flutes), chicken pibil; and wash it all down with mexican traditional hot chocolate atole, and of course, tequila.
- Roll up your sleeves and do it yourself with our tasty workshops. Learn how to make your own piñata, press your own tortillas and tickle your tastebuds with a tequila tasting workshop.
- Enjoy live music, dance performances and family-friendly craft activities including Day of the Dead paper masks, piñatas and dress ups.
- Meet the strongmen of Melbourne's own Lucha Libre Mexican wrestlers as they showcase some of their jaw-dropping wrestling moves onstage!
- Brush up on your Spanish skills with an all-day-long Spanish language meet-up, with games and activities to keep the conversation going.
- Hear from the experts in a variety of pop-up talks on subjects like Mexican Cinema, Day of the Dead, Mexican food, Mexico City, World Heritage Sites in Mexico and lots more.
Viva Mexico Festival
Sunday 4 May 2014, 11am – 4pm
Adult $10, children and concession FREE
Immigration Museum, 400 Flinders Street, Melbourne. Open daily 10am to 5pm (except Christmas Day & Good Friday). Admission: Adult $10 child/concession FREE.
More info 13 11 02 or museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum
For further media information, interviews or images, please contact:
Anna Barnes on +61 3 9927 2734, 0478 348 877 or email@example.com