An exciting new exhibition is coming
Opens 6 September
Bunjilaka’s permanent exhibition space is currently closed for redevelopment.
The gallery will reopen on 6 September 2013 with an exciting new exhibition, First Peoples.
Told through the voices of Victoria’s First Peoples, and utilising cutting-edge multimedia, Indigenous language, artefacts and contemporary artworks, First Peoples will tell the story of Aboriginal Victoria from the time of Creation to today.
Opening during NAIDOC (National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee) Week, First Peoples will celebrate the history, culture, achievements and survival of Victoria’s Aboriginal people. The exhibition highlights include:
- Be transported to the time of Creation through the story of Bunjil (the wedge-tailed eagle), Creator for many Victorian Aboriginal clans, inside the Creation Cinema
- Hear from Victorian Aboriginal people aged from 8 to 72 speaking about their identity, community and culture in the Deep Listening Space
- Join the Messenger – virtual human guide – on a journey of discovery through the exhibition
- Uncover stories and objects telling how the First Peoples lived before European settlement, highlighting Aboriginal Australia’s complex web of social, cultural and economic ties
- Marvel at more than 600 historic and contemporary artefacts from across Victoria and Australia, from one of the world’s premier collections of Australian Aboriginal cultural material
- See numerous contemporary artworks and objects commissioned from Koorie artists
First Peoples will be a permanent exhibition on display at the Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre at Melbourne Museum.
First Peoples is being co-curated by Yulendj (“knowledge”) Group of Elders and community representatives from across Victoria with Museum Victoria staff - contributing stories, objects and deep cultural and historical knowledge to this exhibition.
First Peoples is being developed with the significant support from Yulgibar Foundation, John T Reid Charitable Trusts and Rio Tinto Ltd.
Daily, Starts 6 Sep 2013
First Peoples Gallery, Bunjilaka
Included with museum entry.
MV Members receive FREE museum entry.