Displaying pages tagged refugees (10)
- Mai Ho, Vietnamese Migrant StoryMai Ho was born and grew-up in Saigon's District 5 during the Vietnam War.
- Cuc Lam, Migrant & Councillor (1952- )Cuc Lam escaped from Vietnam in 1978, spending several weeks in a refugee camp in Malaysia before obtaining a refugee visa for Australia.
- Thomas Le, Vietnamese Migrant & ArtistThomas uses his art to express his experiences and cultural identity in his new country.
- Robert Salter: Austrian Migrant Tailor's StoryRobert Salter, a Jewish clothing manufacturer, was forced to flee Vienna just before the German annexation of Austria in 1938.
- Amelia Sello, South African Migrant & ArtistAmelia Sello was born in South Africa. She began working as a dressmaker at the age of twelve due to financial necessity.
- Nyabana Riek - Sudanese Migrant (1977-)Nyabana's story and collection represent a contemporary youth refugee story from an emerging immigrant community in Melbourne (Sudanese).
- Anna Apinis: Latvian Migrant Weaver's CollectionAnna became one of the few suppliers of fabric for Latvian national costumes in Australia in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Post World War II Immigration in PhotographsAt a time when inexpensive cameras were affordable to most, photographs provide an important record of these changing times.
- RefugeesWho is a refugee?, What is the difference between a refugee and asylum seeker?, Who is an illegal immigrant?
- Seeking RefugeSchool and excursion based activities focussed on issues of asylum seekers and refugees to Australia from early 20th century to the present.