Bottle - Ink Bottle, Ceramic, Cream Saltglazed
Three conjoining pieces of a cream-coloured saltglazed stoneware bottle, probably an ink bottle. The bottle shoulder is scooped and the finish flanged. The shape is suggestive of an ink bottle, although it does not have a pouring lip.
More about this item
Royal Exhibition Building Western Forecourt Collection
The Royal Exhibition Building Western Forecourt Collection consists of 1,566 artefacts excavated during an archaeological dig of the western forecourt of the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, in November 2009.
A majority of the artefacts were recovered from nightsoil deposits on the site, which were particularly rich in ceramics, glass and food refuse. Further artefacts were recovered from immediately below the crushed rock base of the circular driveway, which was constructed on the site for the Melbourne International Exhibition, 1880-1881.
World Heritage, World Futures project to restore the western forecourt
Earring - Gold & Semi-precious Stone, 1870s-1880s
This 18ct gold earing pendant was the one piece of Australian manufactured jewellery uncovered from the Casselden Place dig in 2003. The workmanship and vine leaf motif allows us to speculate it was crafted by German or Dutch jewelers working in Melb...
More about this item
Commonwealth Block assemblage
The Commonwealth Block includes the area known as 'Little Lon', an inner-city block in Melbourne bordered by Lonsdale, Exhibition, Little Lonsdale and Spring Streets.
Little Lon was the city's 'Red Light District', but it was also home to the city's poorest residents and recently arrived immigrants from Ireland, Italy, China and Syria. And what recent archaeological and historical research shows us is that under adverse conditions, many individuals and families managed to make homes, raise children, and establish businesses in Little Lon.
Museum Victoria is custodian of the 500,000+ artefacts excavated from four of the five digs: Little Lon in 1988, Black Eagle and Odd Fellows Hotels in 1990, 17 Casselden Place in 1995, and Casselden Place in 2002.