Search the collections
Scrip - Federal Bank of Australia Ltd, Issued Victoria, Australia, 1887 Reg. No: NU 43741
- The Federal Bank of Australia Ltd. Issued to Maria Metcalfe of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
[Registered address not listed].
19 May 1887.
Capital: 2,000,000 pounds in 400,000 Shares of 5 pounds each.
Certificate No. 2796.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The scrip is significant as an example of the extensive land speculation that occurred in Melbourne in the 1880s. The Federal Bank was founded by James Munro in 1882, and the funds used to speculate in suburban real estate. The bank closed in January 1893; a court investigation discovered that Munro, his family and business associates had borrowed large sums from the bank, to prop up their other failing speculative enterprises.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Harry Hearn
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||16.0 cm (Height), 25.0 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||banking industry, finance industries, real estate, share certificates|
|Themes this item is part of:||Land Boom in 1880s Melbourne, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Banking & Finance|
|Tertiary Classification:||share scrip|
|Issued By:||Federal Bank of Australia Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 May 1887|
|Issued To:||Maria Metcalfe, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 May 1887|