Search the collections
Scrip - Boxhill Township Estate Co Ltd, Issued Victoria, Australia, 1890 Reg. No: NU 43823
- The Boxhill Township Estate Company Ltd. Scrip issued to Cornelius Job Ham of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
[Registered Office not listed]
22 September 1890
Capital: 60,000 Pounds in 600 Shares of 100 Pounds each
Certificate No. 166
The holder of these shares was Cornelius Job Ham, a famous Melbourne auctioneer and estate agent, city councillor and parliamentarian, and a close associate of many of the 1880s property speculators.
- Printed on white stock, both sides, black printed lettering and black, handwritten text. Border on left side of page.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The scrip is significant as an example of the extensive land speculation that occurred in Melbourne in the 1880s. The holder of the shares, Cornelius Job Ham, was a principal of the land and commission agents firm C. J. & T. Ham, established in 1855, and a famous Melbourne auctioneer and estate agent. An active temperance worker and president of the YMCA, Ham was mayor of the City of Melbourne, 1881-82 and Member of the Legislative Council for Melbourne, 1882-1904. A close associate of the most famous land boomers, he himself co-founded the Australian Deposit and Mortgage Bank, which suspended payments in 1892. [R. Gillespie, 12 Jan 2006]
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Harry Hearn
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||14.0 cm (Height), 23.5 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||finance industries, real estate, share certificates|
|Themes this item is part of:||Land Boom in 1880s Melbourne, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Real Estate|
|Tertiary Classification:||share scrip|
|Issued By:||Boxhill Township Estate Company Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 22 Sep 1890|
|Issued To:||Cornelius Ham, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 22 Sep 1890|