Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Issued By Melbourne, Australia
Scrip - Melbourne Land Co Ltd, Issued Victoria, Australia, 31 Aug 1888 Reg. No: NU 43845
- The Melbourne Land Company Ltd. Scrip issued to H.B. Higgins Esq. of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
[Registered Office not listed]
31 August 1888
Capital: 100,000 Pounds in 100,000 Shares of 1 Pound each
Certificate No. 7
The holder of the shares, Henry Bournes Higgins (1851-1929) was a successful Melbourne lawyer in the 1880s; he became a member of the Victorian parliament in1894, was a delegate to Federal Convention 1897-99, a federal politician from 1901, and appointed a justice of the High Court in 1906. As president of the Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration, he delivered the Harvester Judgement.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The scrip is significant as an example of the extensive land speculation that occurred in Melbourne in the 1880s.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Harry Hearn
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||21.2 cm (Height), 29.5 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||banking industry, finance industries, real estate, share certificates|
|Themes this item is part of:||Land Boom in 1880s Melbourne, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Real Estate|
|Tertiary Classification:||share scrip|
|Issued By:||Melbourne Land Company Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 31 Aug 1888|
|Issued To:||Henry Higgins, 31 Aug 1888|