Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Designed South Yarra, Australia
Similar items over time
Plan - Transit Room, Melbourne Observatory, 1861 Reg. No: HT 9073
- One of a set of drawings for the construction of the Melbourne Observatory at South Yarra. The plans are dated 1861 and construction of the main buildings at the Observatory was completed in 1863.
The Melbourne Observatory Collection comprises scientific instruments and other objects as well as some documents and images from the Observatory from its operations between 1863 and 1944.
- Drawing for the Melbourne Observatory showing a North/South Elevation of First Transit Room. Plan is a diagram of a cross-section view of the First Transit Room, illustrated in black ink pen, on off-white coloured paper.
Significant discolouration and mould along left hand side edge of plan. Two tears to left hand side edge. Loss to paper in lower right hand corner. Discolouration along top and bottom edge. Left and right hand edges have curled inwards.
|Dimensions:||61.7 cm (Width), 53.5 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||astronomy, observatories, plans|
|Themes this item is part of:||Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten on verso of plan, lower right hand corner: "Melb. Observatory / Transit Room 1863"|
|Place & Date Designed:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 1861|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872