Search the collections
Scarf - Women on Farms Gathering, Beechworth, 2001 Reg. No: HT 9969
- Silk scarf from the 2001 North East (Beechworth) Women on Farms Gathering. This scarf was worn by the North East (Beechworth) organising committee members as a form of identification. The colours symbolised the surrounding forests and agricultural land and the autumn season (the Gathering was held in autumn, and Beechworth is renowned for its autumn display).
- As new, green and brown silk scarf. Oblong. Handmade by Barbara Pritchard. Black and gold tag attached by gold safety pin. A4 information sheet about the artist and the fabric included. Scarf is folded in plastic bag.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This object was collected by a committee member of the organising committee for the 2001 North East (Beechworth) Gathering. It represents and celebrates the voluntary work of those women who worked on the committee to bring about the Gathering. A key feature that unites all Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings is the voluntary nature of these events. Women from the local region usually come together approximately one to two years prior to the Gathering to begin planning and organising, which includes securing a venue, sponsorship, accommodation, catering, publicity, tours, workshops and speakers. During the event the organising committee continue to oversee and run the Gathering, and it is customary for them to wear something that will make them identifiable to Gathering participants. Objects such as this scarf represent the voluntary contribution that these women have made not only to the Gatherings themselves, but also to their local communities and to the wider rural women?s movement in Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms. Ann Jarvis, 2003
|Tagged with:||politics, agriculture, rural life, gender issues, globalisation, work, women on farms gatherings|
|Themes this item is part of:||Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, 2001 North East (Beechworth) WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||clothing accessories|
|Creator:||Victorian Women on Farms Gathering, Beechworth, North East, Victoria, Australia, 2001|
|Place & Date Used:||Beechworth, North East, Victoria, Australia, 20 Apr 2001-22 Apr 2001|