Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Issued By Melbourne, Australia
Postcard - Phar Lap, National Museum of Victoria, 1930s Reg. No: HT 8483
- This postcard was produced in the 1930s by the National Museum of Victoria (now Museum Victoria) as a souvenir of the newly acquired mount of the champion racehorse Phar Lap. Surprisingly, the year of his death is erroneously shown as '1933', rather than the correct '1932'.
- Rectangular postcard with a photographic image of the mount of Phar Lap, with `Phar Lap (50)' and `National Museum, Melbourne' printed on the front.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This postcard is a rare surviving example the first postcard (and arguably the first souvenir) produced by the Museum to capitalise on the enduring popularity of Phar Lap, even after his death. These would have been available in the Museum's shop for visitors to purchase as a memento of their visit to see their equine hero.
|Dimensions:||8.80 cm (Width), 13.90 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||civic mementoes, exhibitions, horse racing, museum history, souvenirs, horses, sport, racing industry, postcards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Phar Lap Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Marketing & Publicity|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on front: Phar Lap (50) NATIONAL MUSEUM, MELBOURNE
Printed on back: POST CARD/This Space may be used for correspondence/PHAR LAP, 1926-1933, by Night-Raid - Entreaty/39 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 9 times unplaced/Total winnings, £66,738/ADDRESS ONLY/STAMP/TO BE/NEATLY/AFFIXED/POSTAGE. - Within Commonwealth and to all places in/British Empire, 1 1/2d.; To all other places, 2d.
|Format:||Postcard: Black & White|
|Issued By:||National Museum of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940|