Search the collections
Song Book - Women on Farms Gathering, Glenormiston, 1994 Reg. No: HT 10045
- Song book created for the 1994 Glenormiston Women on Farms Gathering. This booklet contains seven songs written by Meg Barry and one written by Margaret Jansen, set to popular tunes. These songs were performed at the Saturday night gala dinner during the Glenormiston Organising Committee's performance of 'Galloping Gertie Gets Her Reward'. Clad in gumboots with ribbons, bows, flowers and sequins, committee members frolicked around the stage performing a play about a fictionalised farming woman, Gertie. According to the Numurkah Gathering Proceedings, 'it was a fun way to present a positive message of the amazing contribution of farming women - not just as farmer's wife - to the life of the individual farms and to their rural communities, and to the great industry of agriculture.'
- White paper booklet made of four A4 sheets folded to A5 and stapled - printed in black. Front cover has two boxed labels. 1. Does Galloping Gertrude get her Reward? And 2. Witnesses' Brief. Second last page has drawing of a memorial plinth with a woman on top, complete with apron and holding a pitchfork, looking over the countryside, with a few sheep on the ground. Plinth is inscribed 'The Unknown Farmer'. Back page has fan shaped logo design in nine panels depicting grapes, sheep, horse, cattle, wheat, farmer with baby lamb, tractor and Glenormiston 1994. Centre base of fan design depicts a woman wearing a wide brim felt hat.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The sharing of music, poetry and dance is an important feature of the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings. Bringing women together for a shared purpose, such activities have helped to break down personal barriers and have offered opportunities for women to express feelings, share experiences, receive validation from others and recharge their batteries. Some poems and songs have been especially written for the occasion and some have been adapted from traditional verse. All of them have honoured the coming together of women as farmers, wives, mothers, teachers, volunteers, supporters and enablers - working alone, with each other, and alongside men.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms. Jennifer Jackson, 2002
|Tagged with:||politics, agriculture, music, rural life, gender issues, globalisation, work, community groups, farms, women s associations, women on farms gatherings, agricultural farming organisations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||song books|
|Creator:||Victorian Women on Farms Gathering, Glenormiston, Victoria, Australia, 1994|
|Place & Date of Event:||Glenormiston, Victoria, Australia, 1994|