Medal - The Kodak Film Award, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Australia, 1958 Reg. No: NU 44331
- Bronze medal commissioned by Kodak (Australasia) for The Kodak Film Award. Designed by Andor Meszaros and minted by Pinches, London, in 1958.
This medal was initially awarded at the Melbourne Film Festival about 1955-60. During the 1960s and 1970s it was presented during the Australian Film Institute Awards. The design juxtaposes two elements in the process of of film-making: the court jester leaping through the air represents what the audience sees on the screen; the spool of film to the left shows the individual frames that together create the motion depicted. This was one of Andor Meszaros' most appealing medals and a successful use of the circular motif, as the design echoes the curves and arcs of the medal itself.
- Round silver medal in blue box.
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Tagged with:||cinema, awards, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Migration Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||cinema & film awards|
|Obverse Description:||Obverse: Three leaping jesters. Around left side, film strip with leaping jester in each frame. Around right side: THE KODAK FILM AWARD. At bottom : Andor Meszaros / 1958 [initials?]|
|Reverse Description:||Raised rim. SILVER.|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: Three leaping jesters. Around left side, film strip with leaping jester in each frame. Around right side: THE KODAK FILM AWARD. At bottom : Andor Meszaros / 1958 [initials?]
Reverse: Raised rim. SILVER.
|Issued By:||Kodak (Australia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1958|
|Mint:||John Pinchas, 1958|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, Victoria, Australia, 1958|
|Awarded By:||Australian Film Institute (AFI)|