Similar items over time
Medal Die - The Kodak Film Award, Obverse, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Australia, 1958 Reg. No: NU 44335
- Medal die for the obverse of The Kodak Film Award medal, designed by Andor Meszaros and minted by Pinches, London, in 1958.
A die is a piece of high-quality steel into one end of which the design for a medal is engraved. After the engraving, the die is hardened and then fixed into a medal press to strike the medals. The Kodak medal, which this die was used to make, was awarded initially at the Melbourne Film Festival about 1955-60. During the 1960s and 1970s it was presented during the Australian Film Institute Awards.
- Metal cylinder with intaglio design for obverse of medal. Wax coating.
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||64 mm (Diameter)|
|Tagged with:||cinema, awards, medals, dies|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Migration Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||cinema & film awards|
|Obverse Description:||Three leaping jesters. Around left side, film strip with leaping jester in each frame. Around right side: THE KODAK FILM AWARD. At bottom : Andor Meszaros ?|
|Inscriptions:||Three leaping jesters. Around left side, film strip with leaping jester in each frame. Around right side: THE KODAK FILM AWARD. At bottom : Andor Meszaros / 1958 [initials?]|
|Issued By:||Kodak (Australia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1958|
|Mint:||John Pinchas, 1958|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, Victoria, Australia, 1958|
|Awarded By:||Australian Film Institute (AFI)|