Shoes - Paragon, 'Hawaii', Court Stiletto, Woven Leather, 1960s Reg. No: HT 11322
- Pair of needle-toe, high stiletto heel, tan leather shoes, Hawaii design. Made by Paragon in the 1960s. Uppers imported flat from Spain. They were worn by the donor.
Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd was one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time was the largest manufacturer of high quality of women's shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Pair of Paragon shoes, Hawaii design, comprised of a needle toe and narrow waisted heel. Uppers of tan leather with perforations decorated by criss-crossing cream leather binding.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Paragon Shoe Collection comprises over 90 objects, including pairs of shoes and single shoes, point-of-sale materials and promotional materials such as business cards and an umbrella bearing the company name. The Collection documents the business and products of Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd, one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time the largest manufacturer of high quality of women?s shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The collection was largely donated by a member of the Davison family, which ran the Paragon business for most of the 20th century. It documents the changing designs of Australian women's footwear, from the 1910s to the 1980s. It illustrates the development of new shoe styles, from sample shoes bought overseas to shoes that went into production and were worn by Australian women. The collection is complemented by an archive held at the State Library of Victoria, including company records, shoe design sketch books and further point-of-sale material.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Diana Gaze, 2005
|Dimensions:||13.5 cm (Height), 7.2 cm (Width), 23.9 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||footwear industry, manufacturing, making history - paragon shoes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Paragon Shoe Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Inscriptions:||On inside of sole in gold and impressed: "HAWAII / Paragon / MADE BY / PARGON SHOES P-L / ALL LEATHER SOLES"
Stamped on inside of heel: "SIZE 7 1/2 ....[indeciphable]"
|Manufacturer:||Paragon Shoes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
Howard, G., 2004. Lex Davison: Larger Than Life'. Turton & Armstrong, Sydney.
Copies of several newspaper articles about Paragon from the early 1920s were included with the donation.
The State Library of Victoria holds an archive relating to the Paragon business, containing receipt books, account books, advertising, clippings, sample book, sketches, photographs and a poster - MS 13570. The content dates range circa 1928-1988. An additional archive, PA 01/05, ranges 1940s-1980s.