Shoes - Paragon, Floral, 1949 Reg. No: HT 11323
- Pair of high-heeled shoes with base and green, purple, lilac and pink abstract floral pattern. Open, strappy style with heel strap and open toe. Hand-lasted by Paragon in 1949 (although donor thinks they were may have been late 1950s or early 1960s). The shoes were made especially for the donor, and she thinks she might have seen some fabric that took her eye, and asked for shoes in that fabric - or her husband Lex may have found the fabric and had shoes made for her.
Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd was one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time was the largest manufacturer of high quality of women's shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Pair of shoes featuring cream base with green, purple, lilac and pink abstract floral pattern; open, strappy shoe. Detail of cross-over straps around front of toe, moving through the outside of foot to around the back of the ankle. Buckle on outside of shoe.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Paragon Shoe Collection comprises over 90 objects, including pairs of shoes and single shoes, point-of-sale materials and promotional materials such as business cards and an umbrella bearing the company name. The Collection documents the business and products of Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd, one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time the largest manufacturer of high quality of women?s shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The collection was largely donated by a member of the Davison family, which ran the Paragon business for most of the 20th century. It documents the changing designs of Australian women's footwear, from the 1910s to the 1980s. It illustrates the development of new shoe styles, from sample shoes bought overseas to shoes that went into production and were worn by Australian women. The collection is complemented by an archive held at the State Library of Victoria, including company records, shoe design sketch books and further point-of-sale material.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Diana Gaze, 2005
|Dimensions:||7.9 cm (Height), 13.0 cm (Width), 19.6 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||footwear industry, manufacturing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Paragon Shoe Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Insole: "Royal / Paragon / HAND LASTED"
Sole: "DIANA DAVISON / 1949"
|Manufacturer:||Paragon Shoes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
Howard, G., 2004. Lex Davison: Larger Than Life'. Turton & Armstrong, Sydney.
Copies of several newspaper articles about Paragon from the early 1920s were included with the donation.
The State Library of Victoria holds an archive relating to the Paragon business, containing receipt books, account books, advertising, clippings, sample book, sketches, photographs and a poster - MS 13570. The content dates range circa 1928-1988. An additional archive, PA 01/05, ranges 1940s-1980s.