Search the collections
Shoe - Sacha, 'Walk Tall', Platform Clog, Right, 1973 Reg. No: HT 11326
- Alternative Name(s): Clog
One right shoe, Sacha 'Walk Tall' label. This style was also available in black/cream, blue/white, red/white and apple green/white. Made in February 1973. Acquired by Paragon as a sample from Wilf Sparks, who acted as their representative in London. Company principal Lex Davison would meet with him on business trips; from the 1970s, his son Richard would meet Wilf.
Sacha today is a Netherlands-based footwear manufacturer and retailer.
Paragon was one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time was the largest manufacturer of high quality of women's shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Shoe or clog, comprised of a camel and brown patent leather platform clog. A closed toe; open back. Two-toned, camel heel, platform and upper; chocolate brown on lower shoe, creating layering of colour. Tied brown bow on centre upper of front of shoe.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Paragon Shoe Collection comprises over 90 objects, including pairs of shoes and single shoes, point-of-sale materials and promotional materials such as business cards and an umbrella bearing the company name. The Collection documents the business and products of Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd, one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time the largest manufacturer of high quality of women’s shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The collection was largely donated by a member of the Davison family, which ran the Paragon business for most of the 20th century. It documents the changing designs of Australian women's footwear, from the 1910s to the 1980s. It illustrates the development of new shoe styles, from sample shoes bought overseas to shoes that went into production and were worn by Australian women. The collection is complemented by an archive held at the State Library of Victoria, including company records, shoe design sketch books and further point-of-sale material.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Diana Gaze, 2005
|Dimensions:||17.0 cm (Height), 7.7 cm (Width), 23.5 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||footwear industry, manufacturing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Paragon Shoe Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on inside of sole in gold: "sacha"
Label attached to inside sole: "From W.L.Sparks / Model: "WALK TALL a new / sacha clog. Price 12.98 [pounds] / Available also in Black/Cream / Blue/White / Red/White and / Apple Green /White. Further / ref. this shoe see lette of / 28/2/73"
Stamped into inside of heel: "501 14 5 M"
|Agent:||Wilf Sparks - Paragon Shoes|
|Previous Owner:||Paragon Shoes|
Howard, G., 2004. Lex Davison: Larger Than Life'. Turton & Armstrong, Sydney.
Copies of several newspaper articles about Paragon from the early 1920s were included with the donation.
The State Library of Victoria holds an archive relating to the Paragon business, containing receipt books, account books, advertising, clippings, sample book, sketches, photographs and a poster - MS 13570. The content dates range circa 1928-1988. An additional archive, PA 01/05, ranges 1940s-1980s.