Shoes - Cavalli, Court Stiletto, Green Leather, 1960s Reg. No: HT 11633
- Pair of pale green leather, high heeled court shoes, hand-made by Cavalli, in Bologna, Italy, in the 1960s. They were the personal property of the donor, and she particularly liked them. She and her husband used to undertake buying trips, particularly to Europe, and these probably would have been purchased on one of these trips.
Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd was one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time was the largest manufacturer of high quality of women's shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Pair of pale green leather, high heeled Paragon shoes, with a closed pointed toe. Detail of small square studs placed underneath the surface leather to create added texture and three-dimensional surface, appearing as a repeating spot.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Paragon Shoe Collection comprises over 90 objects, including pairs of shoes and single shoes, point-of-sale materials and promotional materials such as business cards and an umbrella bearing the company name. The Collection documents the business and products of Paragon Shoes Pty Ltd, one of the most significant 20th century Australian shoe retailers, and at one time the largest manufacturer of high quality of women’s shoes in Australia. Its factory was located in Melbourne, and its shoes were sold throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The collection was largely donated by a member of the Davison family, which ran the Paragon business for most of the 20th century. It documents the changing designs of Australian women's footwear, from the 1910s to the 1980s. It illustrates the development of new shoe styles, from sample shoes bought overseas to shoes that went into production and were worn by Australian women. The collection is complemented by an archive held at the State Library of Victoria, including company records, shoe design sketch books and further point-of-sale material.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Diana Gaze, 2005
|Dimensions:||14.5 cm (Height), 7.5 cm (Width), 23.5 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||footwear industry, manufacturing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Paragon Shoe Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Inscriptions:||On inside of sole in gold and impressed: "B / HANDMADE / IN ITALY / BY CA / VAL / LI / BOLOGNA"|
|Date Made:||Italy, 1960s
Dated by donor.
|Distributor:||Paragon Shoes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Need to confirm that these were made for Paragon rather than just being purchased as part of market research by Paragon.
Howard, G., 2004. Lex Davison: Larger Than Life'. Turton & Armstrong, Sydney.
Copies of several newspaper articles about Paragon from the early 1920s were included with the donation.
The State Library of Victoria holds an archive relating to the Paragon business, containing receipt books, account books, advertising, clippings, sample book, sketches, photographs and a poster - MS 13570. The content dates range circa 1928-1988. An additional archive, PA 01/05, ranges 1940s-1980s.