Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Medal - Victorian Volunteer Forces Long & Efficient Service Medal, Victoria, Australia, 1881-1893 Reg. No: NU 37099
- Australia Victoria Melbourne
Victorian Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal 1880 (AD)
Mint: Stokes & Martin
Awarded to: PRIVATE T. BROWNE "A." COY. 2ND. BATT.
Other Details: The Victorian Volunteer Forces were the local regiments who undertook the naval and military defence of the colony of Victoria. After Federation in 1901, this medal became obsolete.
- A round silver medal (38 mm. diameter) with ornate mount and ribbon (not original). The obverse features a crowned garter around simplified Southern Cross on a cross; on the garter to motto, AUT PACE . AUT BELLO . VICTORIA (translation - both in peace and in war. Victoria); around, LOCAL FORCES VICTORIA. The reverse has the legend: FOR / LONG AND / EFFICIENT / SERVICE. The edge is impressed PRIVATE T. BROWNE "A." COY. 2ND. BATT.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||38 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||the ribbon is not original|
|Tagged with:||australian military forces, colonial military forces|
|Themes this item is part of:||Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales, Victorian Artillery (AKA Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment or Permanent Artillery Corps), Victorian Colonial Military, 1854-1901, Alfred Blannin, Victorian Volunteer Military Forces (1842-1889), Victorian Colonial Military Forces Units, 1854-1901, Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Secondary Classification:||Military General Service|
|Tertiary Classification:||efficient service|
|Obverse Description:||Crowned garter around simple Southern Cross on cross; on garter, AUT PACE . AUT BELLO . VICTORIA; around, LOCAL FORCES VICTORIA|
|Reverse Description:||FOR / LONG AND / EFFICIENT / SERVICE|
|Edge Description:||PRIVATE T. BROWNE "A." COY. 2ND. BATT.|
|Inscriptions:||AUT PACE . AUT BELLO . VICTORIA LOCAL FORCES VICTORIA
FOR / LONG AND / EFFICIENT / SERVICE
PRIVATE T. BROWNE "A." COY. 2ND. BATT.
|Shape:||Round with mount and ribbon|
|Issued By:||Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884, Victoria, Australia|
|Mint:||Stokes & Martin (Mint)|
|Awarded To:||Private T. Browne - Local Forces, Victoria, Victoria, Australia, 1880
Private T. Browne, 'A' Company, 2nd Battalion.
|References:||The Victoria Volunteer long and efficient service medal and the volunteer officers' decoration / by R.D. Williams|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Numismatics & Philately Collection
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales
- Victorian Artillery (AKA Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment or Permanent Artillery Corps)
- Victorian Colonial Military, 1854-1901
- Alfred Blannin, Victorian Volunteer Military Forces (1842-1889)
- Victorian Colonial Military Forces Units, 1854-1901
- Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884