Search the collections
Street Directory - Morgan's Official Street Directory, Val Morgan, circa 1956 Reg. No: HT 12361
- Large edition of 'Morgan's Official Street Directory - Melbourne and Suburbs' published by Val Morgan, circa 1950s-1970s. Val Morgan, the business better known for its cinema advertising, purchased the business that issued Moulton's Street Directory in 1916. The publication became Morgan's Street Directory and ran to more than fifty issues up to the late 1970s.
- Street directory featuring a soft card cover, with the title printed in red and dark purple ink against a light blue background, and a purple hand, with the index finger pointing to the right, in the centre. The index and street maps inside are printed on off-white paper in black and red ink. Each page features an advertisement along the edge, with full page advertisements interspersed throughout. The spine is damaged, consequently many of the pages are loose.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1994
|Dimensions:||1.5 cm (Height), 19.5 cm (Width), 26.0 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||road maps|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Road Travel & Motoring|
|Tertiary Classification:||road maps|
|Inscriptions:||Title: 'LARGE SCALE EDITION / MORGAN'S / Official STREET / DIRECTORY / 10/6 / MELBOURNE & SUBURBS / 118 Quick Reference MAPS / INCLUDING / RAIL, TRAM & BUS ROUTES / Used by / THE POLICE & FIRE BRIGADES / For Reliability & Speedy Reference / COPYRIGHT'
|Publisher:||Val Morgan, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1956|
With regard to the date of this publication see the advertisement on inside of front end paper for W.G. Apps & Sons Pty Ltd, Undertakers, which says "Established 100 Years".
An 1896, article in the Mercury & Weekly Courier, Vic, 30 July 1896, p.2, "An Old Established Business", http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58279981, suggests that William George Apps had been associated with the funeral business in Fitzroy for 40 years, which would make the date the business was established as circa 1856.