Search the collections
Shade Card - Gazelda Ltd, 1937 Reg. No: HT 12373
- Shade Card issued by Gazelda Ltd., Watford, England in 1937. Simpson's Gloves Pty. Ltd., Melbourne were the Sole Agents for Australia for Gazelda products.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Shade card comprising a hard cover with textured dark green surface, and featuring the title and a deer's-head motif embossed in gold on the front. The four pages inside are of thick, off-white paper, each featuring eighteen rectangles of coloured leather, arranged in rows, with their shade names printed underneath in dark brown ink. Photographs of the company grounds and a corresponding statement are printed in dark brown on each left page. A separate folder of off-white card is inserted into the back pages, printed in black ink and containing twelve coloured leather samples. This is accompanied by two sheets of card with rectangles cut out in the centre, three loose pieces of leather, and a leather-care card.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1994
|Dimensions:||0.7 cm (Height), 18.7 cm (Width), 25.4 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, leather samples, colour charts|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing & Fashion|
|Tertiary Classification:||product catalogues|
|Inscriptions:||Title: "Gazelda / SHADE CARD / 1937"
Folder: "NEW SHADES / IN / GAZELDA / ISSUED BY GAZELDA LTD. WATFORD. ENGLAND. MARCH 1939"
|Issued By:||Ford & Banks Ltd, Watford, England, Great Britain, 1937|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1937|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection