Brochure - Peter Sanders Pty Ltd, 'The Clifton' House Design, early 1960s Reg. No: HT 12535
- Early 1960s colour brochure advertising Peter Sanders Pty Ltd house design, 'The Clifton'. It includes information about the company, features of the home, financial details and a floor plan.
This document is part of a collection of documents and photographs that relates to the purchase of land, and the construction and setting up of a family home by Graeme Fullarton in Keilor East, in the period from the late 1950s to the late 1960s. The collection tracks the 'great Australian dream' of owning a home.
Graeme Fullarton bought adjoining land with his brother Bruce Fullarton in 1959 on Quinn Grove and David Street in East Keilor. In 1964 they both built homes using the same builder. The items in this collection include legal documents relating to Graeme's land purchase; brochures from builders; his subsequent house construction plan; mortgage repayment, land valuation, rates and sanitary services accounts; a quotation relating to the connection of the telephone service; house content insurance accounts; and gas and electricity accounts from the first years in the home. Family photographs show the house being built, from its footings through to the roof being put on.
This particular brochure is part of a sub-set of about 100 housing brochures, issued by project builders and developers in the early 1960s in Melbourne, and collected by Graeme Fullarton and his wife while looking for an appropriate house to build in the early 1960s. They ultimately built a house in East Keilor in 1964. The actual house design on which his built home was finally based is also in this collection.
- Brochure printed on folded off-white paper in red and black ink. The front features a drawing of the house, at the bottom of the page within a half-circle, with the name printed in red underneath. Thin arrows extend from the top of the page, pointing to the house, like sun rays. The title is printed in the centre, in white lettering against a rectangle of black. The pages inside contain information about the company and the features of the home, with a floor plan situated in the lower right corner. The name of the company is printed down the right edge, and is visible from the front. Financial details are printed on the back page.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This object is part of a document and photograph collection which tracks the 'great Australian dream' of owning a home through the experience of Mr Graeme Fullarton, during the period from the late 1950s to the late 1960s. This collection includes some of the legal documents relating to Graeme's land purchase; his subsequent house construction plan; brochures from builders; mortgage repayment, land valuation, rates and sanitary services accounts; a quotation relating to the connection of the telephone service; house content insurance accounts; and gas and electricity accounts from the first years in the home. Family photographs show the house being built, from its footings through to the roof being put on.
This collection includes about 100 housing brochures, issued by project builders and developers in the early 1960s in Melbourne. This sub-set of housing brochures is a great addition to the domestic life collection. It provides an overview of the surveying process that many young couples went through whilst seeking their own home in the post war period, and provides an excellent representation of the types of house designs available to build yourself or buy from an architect, builder or developer. The brochures show the floor plan spaces and arrangement, design aesthetic, materials and finishes, sizes, and costs of housing in the early 1960s, and reveal how architects, builders and developers promoted the idea of the home to Melburnians.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Graeme Fullarton, 2007
|Dimensions:||14.1 cm (Width), 20.2 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||architecture, houses, plans|
|Themes this item is part of:||Graeme Fullarton, 1960s Suburban Pioneer, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION|
|Secondary Classification:||Architectural Design|
|Tertiary Classification:||reference materials|
|Inscriptions:||Front page: "YOUR HOME / THE CLIFTON"
Further text throughout.
|Advertiser:||Peter Sanders Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, early 1960s
The donor bought land in 1959 and built his house in 1964, so this brochure originates from the period between these two dates.