Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Fencing Workshop, Women on Farms Gathering, Glenormiston, 1994 Reg. No: MM 90196
- Black and white photograph depicting participants attending a fencing workshop at the 1994 Glenormiston Women on Farms Gathering. This workshop offered hands-on experience in the paddock, including experience with wire knots, electric fencing, emergency fence repairs and straining wires. A comment in the 1994 Glenormiston Proceedings stated, 'Glenormiston fences have been cut and rejoined by eager women learning and sharing skills and muscle power. Electric fencing was tackled too, with problem solving and ways to test if the fence is working, a specialty.'
- Colour Digital Photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- Workshops have been a regular feature of all Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings ever since the first Gathering in Warragul in 1990. At the inaugural 1990 Gathering, workshops were inspired by the farm skills courses that had been running around Victoria during the late 1980s and that had been the forerunner to the first Gathering. These workshops were very hands-on and focused predominately on enhancing the practical farm skills of the women that participated. However, as the Gatherings themselves evolved to include a range of broader rurally based activities and issues, workshops too became more diverse and began to include a range of non-farming educational opportunities. Whatever their focus, all workshops have aimed to educate, inspire, up skill and rejuvenate the women that partake. Situated in the wider context of the rural women's movement in Australia, these workshops represent a collective move by rural women to educate themselves about farming enterprise, raise their public profile and in doing so, to challenge the dominant representation of rural Australia as a male domain.
- Description Of Content:
- A woman standing by a fence receiving a lesson on fencing during a workshop at the 1994 Glenormiston Gathering.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Liza Dale, 1990
|Tagged with:||working life, agriculture, workshops, fencing, gender issues, work, community groups, conferences, rural women, women on farms gatherings|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, 1994 Glenormiston WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black and White; JPEG|
|Place Depicted:||Glenormiston, Victoria, Australia, 1994|
|Place & Date of Event:||Glenormiston, Victoria, Australia, 1994|