Brochure - CSC Homes Pty Ltd, 'TV' Home, Sunshine, early 1960s Reg. No: HT 12588
- Colour brochure dating from the early 1960s that advertises the "TV" home - a 3 bedroom weatherboard or brick veneer house designed by CSC Homes Pty. Ltd., a home design and construction company based in the Melbourne suburb of Sunshine. The brochure features floorplans, sketches and information about finance.
This document is part of a collection of documents and photographs that relates to the purchase of land, and the construction and setting up of a family home by Graeme Fullarton in Keilor East, in the period from the late 1950s to the late 1960s. The collection tracks the 'great Australian dream' of owning a home.
Graeme Fullarton bought adjoining land with his brother Bruce Fullarton in 1959 on Quinn Grove and David Street in East Keilor. In 1964 they both built homes using the same builder. The items in this collection include legal documents relating to Graeme's land purchase; brochures from builders; his subsequent house construction plan; mortgage repayment, land valuation, rates and sanitary services accounts; a quotation relating to the connection of the telephone service; house content insurance accounts; and gas and electricity accounts from the first years in the home. Family photographs show the house being built, from its footings through to the roof being put on.
This particular brochure is part of a sub-set of about 100 housing brochures, issued by project builders and developers in the early 1960s in Melbourne, and collected by Graeme Fullarton and his wife while looking for an appropriate house to build in the early 1960s. They ultimately built a house in East Keilor in 1964. The actual house design on which his built home was finally based is also in this collection.
- Brochure printed in dark green and black ink on off-white paper folded in half. The front cover features a drawing of the house, in the centre, with its title above and the name of the real estate company printed below, within a green band. The inside left page lists the features of the home, the right page shows a labelled floor plan and contains details about finance. The back cover features the floor plan of a second house.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This object is part of a document and photograph collection which tracks the 'great Australian dream' of owning a home through the experience of Mr Graeme Fullarton, during the period from the late 1950s to the late 1960s. This collection includes some of the legal documents relating to Graeme's land purchase; his subsequent house construction plan; brochures from builders; mortgage repayment, land valuation, rates and sanitary services accounts; a quotation relating to the connection of the telephone service; house content insurance accounts; and gas and electricity accounts from the first years in the home. Family photographs show the house being built, from its footings through to the roof being put on.
This collection includes about 100 housing brochures, issued by project builders and developers in the early 1960s in Melbourne. This sub-set of housing brochures is a great addition to the domestic life collection. It provides an overview of the surveying process that many young couples went through whilst seeking their own home in the post war period, and provides an excellent representation of the types of house designs available to build yourself or buy from an architect, builder or developer. The brochures show the floor plan spaces and arrangement, design aesthetic, materials and finishes, sizes, and costs of housing in the early 1960s, and reveal how architects, builders and developers promoted the idea of the home to Melburnians.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Graeme Fullarton, 2007
|Dimensions:||18.0 cm (Width), 22.4 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||architecture, houses, plans, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||Graeme Fullarton, 1960s Suburban Pioneer, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION|
|Secondary Classification:||Architectural Design|
|Tertiary Classification:||reference materials|
|Inscriptions:||Front: "C.S.C. proudly presents / The 'T.V.' / 3 Bedroom Home / Weatherboard / Brick Veneer / NO deposit on your own land / C.S.C. HOMES PTY. LTD. / 29a Sun Crescent, Sunshine, W. 20 / (Opposite Sunshine Police Station) / Telephones 311-0367 (2 lines), 311-1593. After hours, 311-2998."
Further text throughout.
|Advertiser:||CSC Homes Pty Ltd, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, early 1960s
The donor bought land in 1959 and built his house in 1964, so this brochure originates from the period between these two dates.