Search the collections
Computer - Apple II, 1978 Reg. No: HT 13336 1
- Apple II computer incorporating a PAL TV card, floppy disk interface card, serial communications card and a memory expansion card.
The Apple II Computer was the first commercially successful mass market personal computer to be designed as a household or small business item. It came with a moulded plastic case and integrated keyboard, The Apple II could be carried around and any TV set used as a display screen. It had colour graphics and sound capability.
A subsequent more compact model, the IIc, featured an integrated floppy drive, a carry handle and optional LCD screen, making it the first truly mobile personal computer. They were widely used in businesses and schools. It introduced a generation of school children and teachers and businesses to desktop computing.
This Apple II was initially used with cassette tape data recording and retrieval system. Subsequently floppy disks were used.
The first Apple II was manufactured in 1977. This particular machine was purchased in 1979, and used by a former lord mayor of Melbourne and her partner, an architect.
- Beige moulded plastic case with a built-in QWERTY keyboard and includes four plug in expansion cards:
1. Memory expansion card.of unknown manufacturer.Includes the number MW 02A-9-81.
2. Communications board manufactured by Apple Computer Inc. This card has a 25 pin D-type connector.
3. Floppy disk interface card for two 5.25 inch disk drives manufactured by Apple.
4. A PAL video interface card of unknown manufacturer with a coaxial video cable.
A spare video cable with a male to female adapter plug is stored within the computer case (104mm)
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Lecki Ord, 2006
|Dimensions:||110 mm (Height), 390 mm (Width), 460 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||computing, computers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Why the Apple II Computer was collected, The Apple Computer Story - Corporate Rise 1977-1983, Information & Communication Collection, Internet Macintosh User Group (iMug) Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMPUTING & CALCULATING|
|Secondary Classification:||Digital Computing|
|Tertiary Classification:||personal computers|
|Inscriptions:||On the detachable lid is an embossed coloured Apple logo and the words 'apple II' on an adhesive label.
On the inside of the lid are the letters AMCO and DEC 14 1978.
On the underside is a white adhesive label with the following in black ink:
'Apple logo, apple computer inc.', Cupertino, California, Made in USA, Serial No. A2S1 - 16590'
On the rear panel:
'Power supply 230v AC 50 Hz, Video out, Cassette Out - In'
Power supply plug and power on-off switch.
It appears to be a 230v operation unit but the owners believed it was a 110v unit and used a 240v -110v power transformer.
The computer's switching power supply would normally cover the range 110v-240v.
|Manufacturer:||Apple Computer Inc, Cupertino, California, United States of America, 1978|