Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Wine Tasting, Women on Farms Gathering, Numurkah, 1992 Reg. No: MM 90474
- Image taken at the 1992 Numurkah Women on Farms Gathering during a tour to Monichino Winery.
- Digital Photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Tours have been a central feature of the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings ever since the first tour, which was held at the 1991 Sea Lake Gathering. The purpose of tours is to give participants the opportunity to witness local farming practices and in doing so, to learn new skills and diversify their knowledge base. In the early 1990s the tours were mostly restricted to farm-based tours. However, as the Gatherings themselves evolved to include a range of broader rurally based activities and issues, tours too stated to become more diverse and include a range of non-farming educational opportunities. These tours are significant to the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings, and also more generally in terms of their place in Australia's rural and social history. Situated in the wider context of the rural women's movement in Australia, these tours represent a collective move by rural women to educate themselves about farming enterprise, raise their public profile and in doing so, to challenge the dominant representation of rural Australia as a male domain.
- Description Of Content:
- A woman standing at a bar serving wine tastings during the 1992 Numurkah Women on Farms Gathering.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Lyn Johnson - Women on Farms, West Gippsland, 2006
|Tagged with:||agriculture, rural life, viticulture, eating drinking, conferences, rural women, women s associations, women on farms gatherings|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|People Depicted:||Monichino, Maria; Muir, Margaret|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Numurkah, Victoria, Australia, 3 Apr 1992-5 Apr 1992|
|Place & Date of Event:||Numurkah, Victoria, Australia, 3 Apr 1992-5 Apr 1992|