Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Citrus Nursery Tour, Women on Farms Gathering, Swan Hill, 1995 Reg. No: MM 90507
- Photograph taken at the 1995 Swan Hill Women on Farms Gathering. This image depicts two women receiving a lesson about tree grafting techniques during a tour at Flemming's Citrus Nursery.
- Colour Digital Photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- Tours have been a central feature of the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings ever since the first tour, which was held at the 1991 Sea Lake Gathering. The purpose of tours is to give participants the opportunity to witness local farming practices and in doing so, to learn new skills and diversify their knowledge base. In the early 1990s the tours were mostly restricted to farm-based tours. However, as the Gatherings themselves evolved to include a range of broader rurally based activities and issues, tours too stated to become more diverse and include a range of non-farming educational opportunities. These tours are significant to the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings, and also more generally in terms of their place in Australia's rural and social history. Situated in the wider context of the rural women's movement in Australia, these tours represent a collective move by rural women to educate themselves about farming enterprise, raise their public profile and in doing so, to challenge the dominant representation of rural Australia as a male domain.
- Description Of Content:
- Two women and a man standing next to a row of citrus trees inside Flemming's Citrus Nursery.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms. Beryl Taylor, 2006
|Tagged with:||agriculture, rural life, plants, gender issues, work, community groups, conferences, nurseries, rural women, women s associations, women on farms gatherings|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, 1995 Swan Hill WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Swan Hill, Mallee, Victoria, Australia, 1995|
|Place & Date of Event:||Swan Hill, Mallee, Victoria, Australia, 1995|