Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Stonemasonry Tour, Women on Farms Gathering, Macedon Ranges (Kyneton), 2002 Reg. No: MM 90626
- Photograph taken at the 2002 Macedon Ranges (Kyneton) Women on Farms Gathering. This image depicts two women partaking in a stonemasonry tour in the township of Kyneton.
- Colour Digital Photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- Tours have been a central feature of the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings ever since the first tour, which was held at the 1991 Sea Lake Gathering. The purpose of tours is to give participants the opportunity to witness local farming practices and in doing so, to learn new skills and diversify their knowledge base. In the early 1990s the tours were mostly restricted to farm-based tours. However, as the Gatherings themselves evolved to include a range of broader rurally based activities and issues, tours too have become more diverse and include a range of non-farming educational opportunities, such as this stonemasonry tour. These tours are significant to the Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings, and also more generally in terms of their wider place in Australia's rural and social history. Situated in the context of the rural women's movement in Australia, tours such as this represent a collective move by rural women to educate themselves about farming enterprise, raise their public profile and in doing so, to challenge the dominant representation of rural Australia as a male domain.
- Description Of Content:
- Two women stand by a collection of headstones during a tour of the William Jones & Son Monumental Masons at the 2002 Macedon Ranges (Kyneton) Women on Farms Gathering, Piper Street, Kyneton.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Anna Lottkowitz - Rural Women's Network Department for Victorian Rural Communities, 2006
|Tagged with:||rural victoria, rural life, farmers, conferences, stonemasons, rural women, stonemasonry, women s associations, women on farms gatherings, agricultural farming organisations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, 2002 Macedon Ranges (Kyneton) WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kyneton, Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia, 2002|
|Place & Date of Event:||Kyneton, Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia, 2002|