Search the collections
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Brooch Making Workshop, Women on Farms Gathering, Yarram, 2003 Reg. No: MM 90655
- Image taken at the 2003 Yarram Women on Farms Gathering depicting a group of three participants making a brooch during the workshop, 'Glass Work - Making a Brooch'. The participants were able to take their broaches home.
- Colour Digital Photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- Workshops have been a regular feature of all Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings ever since the first Gathering in Warragul in 1990. At the inaugural 1990 Gathering, workshops were inspired by the farm skills courses that had been running around Victoria during the late 1980s and that had been the forerunner to the first Gathering. These workshops were very hands-on and focused predominately on enhancing the practical farm skills of the women that participated. However, as the Gatherings themselves evolved to include a range of broader rurally based activities and issues, workshops too became more diverse and began to include a range of non-farming educational opportunities. Whatever their focus, all workshops have aimed to educate, inspire, up skill and rejuvenate the women that partake. Situated in the wider context of the rural women's movement in Australia, these workshops represent a collective move by rural women to educate themselves about farming enterprise, raise their public profile and in doing so, to challenge the dominant representation of rural Australia as a male domain.
- Description Of Content:
- Three women sitting at a table making brooches at the 2003 Yarram Women on Farms Gathering.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett, 2006
|Tagged with:||crafts, agriculture, handcrafts, rural life, conferences, broaches, rural women, women on farms gatherings, agricultural farming organisations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Yarram, South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, 2003|
|Creator:||Ms Liza Dale-Hallett, Yarram, South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, 2003|