Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Heritage Displays, Women on Farms Gathering, Horsham, 2004 Reg. No: MM 90816
- Photograph taken at the 2004 Horsham Women on Farms Gathering. This photograph depicts a group of workers helping to set up the Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Heritage Collection in the Horsham Town Hall. This was the first time that objects from the Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Heritage Collection had been publicly displayed at a Gathering, and it was considered by many women to be a highlight of the Horsham Gathering. According to participant and Gathering Chairman Christine May, 'the Museum Victoria display of the Heritage Collection of all the past Women on Farms Gatherings was truly a major highlight. This unique collection is now beautifully displayed and cared for and we will have many years to trek back down memory lane as we watch the display grow.' Pictured in the photo are Liza-Dale Hallett from Museum Victoria (far left) and Rhonda Diffey, a member of the Women on Farms Heritage Group (second from left).
- Colour Digital Photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- During the 2003 Yarram Women on Farms Gathering, Museum Victoria and members from the Women on Farms Gathering community signed an agreement that affirmed a shared commitment to collecting cultural material relating to the Gatherings, and to rural women in general. This agreement - titled the Agreement Between Museums Board of Victoria and Victorian Women on Farms Gathering - laid out a vision to 'protect, preserve, document, exhibit and enhance access and understanding of the stories relating to Victorian Women on Farms Gatherings.' To this end, the agreement stipulated that Museum Victoria would work in partnership with the Women on Farms Gathering Heritage Group - a committee made up of past Women on Farms Gathering committee members. The Heritage Group was to 'provide advice to Museum Victoria regarding inclusion for material in the Collection' and in turn, Museum Victoria was 'responsible for collection management and storage of the Collection.'
Over the years, a large and dynamic collection emerged from this cultural partnership - not only resulting in the collection of objects, stories and oral histories, but also facilitating strong community relationships and contributing to the wider history of rural Victoria. The collection has been displayed at several Gatherings and has provided an opportunity for rural women to reflect on their collective past, as well as their position in Australia's wider history. While the formal terms of the Heritage Agreement covered a five-year period and have not been renewed, they have laid the foundations for a continued, informal partnership between Museum Victoria and the Victorian Women on Farms Gathering community.
- Description Of Content:
- A group of workers wearing white gloves set up the Victorian Women on Farms Heritage Gathering Collection in the Horsham Town Hall.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Liza Dale-Hallett, 2006
|Tagged with:||agriculture, rural victoria, rural life, displays, farms, conferences, rural women, women s associations, women on farms gatherings, farming information, museum victoria|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Women on Farms Gathering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, 2004 Horsham WoFG|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Community Activity - Women on Farms Gathering|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|People Depicted:||Dale-Hallett, Liza; Harvey, Georgia; Diffey, Rhonda|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour; JPEG|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Horsham, Victoria, Australia, 2004|
|Place & Date of Event:||Horsham, Victoria, Australia, 2004|