Search the collections
Standard Volume - Gallon, Primary Standard, Victoria, 1864 Reg. No: ST 42520
- Primary standard gallon for Victoria, 1864. The measure has two handles, a strike disc and is housed in a wooden box. It was originally used by the Customs Department as the Imperial standard measure for Victoria. Transferred to Melbourne Observatory in 1902 when the observatory took over responsibility for administering primary standards of weights and measures for Victoria.
- Metal vessel the volume of which defines the standard gallon. Vessel has two handles with ivory insets at the base. The wooden box has a large hinged lid, a lock on the front, and has a hollowed section lined with blue velvet designed to fit the vessel.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch), 1994
|Dimensions:||27 cm (Height), 30 cm (Width), 35 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||standard weights measures, weights measures, customs houses, taxes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872, Customs House, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 1998-2015|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Weights & Measures|
|Tertiary Classification:||standard volume measures|
|Inscriptions:||Measure stamped: 'PRIMARY STANDARD GALLON, VICTORIA, 1864' and '1882'.
Lid of box marked: 'PRIMARY STANDARD GALLON, VICTORIA, 1864'
|User:||Victoria: Customs & Excise Department, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1864-1902|
|User:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 1902-1945|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872
- Customs House, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 1998-2015