Handbag Frame - Sample, 1930s Reg. No: HT 12940
- Brass handbag frame, sample used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond. The firm imported handbag frames, buckles and other decorative parts, and manufactured leather handbags.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Handbag frame comprising two curved lengths of brass joined at the ends with a screw, like a hinge. A decorative clasp features along the top - a semi-circular plate embossed with floral and leaf motifs, and a curved bar. The brass is tarnished.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||165 mm (Height), 173 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sciences, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||components & trims|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1930s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory