Search the collections
Ceremonial Key - Melbourne Centennial Exhibition 1888 Opening, Victoria, Australia, 1888 Reg. No: NU 17919
- This is the key was used by Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Loch, to open the Melbourne Centennial International Exhibition on 1 August 1888.
The Exhibition, celebrating a century of Australian settlement, surpassed even the grand scale of the1880 Melbourne International Exhibition. It attracted over two million people, but the Victorian government had to spend £250 000 on it, ten times the amount estimated. The exhibition had a distinctively imperial focus, and a greater emphasis on culture than in 1880, particularly on music and painting. A choir of 5000 sang music old and new, and 500,000 people attended symphony concerts. There were over 3000 paintings on display, including works by artists like JMW Turner and C Lutyens. The Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens was lit inside and out by electric lights, claimed to be the largest installation of arc lighting in the world.
|Dimensions:||50 mm (Width), 146 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||146 *50|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions, royal exhibition building, keys keyways|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Henry Brougham Loch, Governor of Victoria (1827-1900)|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Melbourne Centennial Exhibition 1888|
|Obverse Description:||Enamelled arms of Melbourne surrounded etc. Motto; VIRES ACQUIRIT EUNDO|
|Reverse Description:||Arms of Sir Henry Loch motto, ASSIDUITATE NON DESIDIA; small gold nugget below|
|Issued By:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1888|
|Place & Date of Event:||Exhibition: 1888 Centennial, Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1888|
|Place & Date Used:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1888|
|User:||Sir Henry Loch, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 01 Aug 1888
This is the key used in the formal ceremony to open the Melbourne Centennial International Exhibition on 1 August 1888 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Henry Loch.