Search the collections
Photograph - Wallaby Hunter's House, King Island, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91114
- One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.'
- Sepia toned photograph on black card with gold edging.
- Description Of Content:
- Coastal bush scene with a man, woman and two children in front of their timber hut. The woman is holding one of the children in her arms. The house was made from materials salvaged from the wreckage of the ship Loch Leven which went aground on the northern tip of King Island in 1871.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||200 mm (Height), 250 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bush houses, children, families, houses, landscapes, shipwrecks|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Transport Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Domestic Life|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Original Caption:||The hunter's house, built of the wreck of the "Loch Leven"|
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Photograph: Sepia; 10 in. x 8 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||King Island, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, Australia, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, Kent Island Group, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887
Information ascertained from newspaper reports of the day preserved with the photograph in the album.
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Childhood & Youth Collection
- Domestic & Community Life Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Transport Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria