Search the collections
Print - Map of King Island, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91117
- This map is one of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. Map shows tracks & camps of the expedition, November 1887.The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.' The map show the location of the camp and tracks they took on the trip.
- Black and white newsprint
- Description Of Content:
- Black and white line drawing of Kind Island and it's georgraphic features.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||188 mm (Height), 117 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||maps, natural environment, prints, lake dobson|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Original Caption:||Map showing tracks & camps of The Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria's Expedition to King Island, Bass Straits, November 1887.|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on map: "KING Id."
Handwritten in black ink below the map: "Map showing tracks & camps of The Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria's Expedition to King Island, Bass Straits, November 1887."
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Print: Black & White; See Dimensions|
|Place & Date Depicted:||King Island, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, Australia, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, Kent Island Group, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887
Information ascertained from newspaper reports of the day preserved with the photograph in the album.
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Leisure Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria