Search the collections
Photograph - Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria Scientific Expedition to Kent Group Islands, Bass Strait, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91126
- One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.'
- Black and white photograph
- Description Of Content:
- View of the estuary at Yellow Rock Beach, King Island. In the foreground is a campsite and tents set up by the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria during a scientific expedition to the island in November 1887. Some of the men from the club are standing near the tents.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||camp sites, camping, natural environment, natural environments, tents|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Secondary Classification:||Images (To Be Classified)|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Original Caption:||Head Quarters Camp - looking N.E. across the estuary of the Rivulet|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten title in black ink on backing board below the photograph: "Head Quarters Camp - looking N.E. across the estuary of The Rivulet".
Handwritten MV catalogue reference in black pencil lower right: "MM 091126".
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||King Island, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, Australia, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, Kent Island Group, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887
Information ascertained from newspaper reports of the day preserved with the photograph in the album.
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Leisure Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria