Search the collections
Photograph - Martha Lavinia Lagoon, King Island, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91199
- One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.'
- Black and white photograph on off-white card in bound album.
- Description Of Content:
- View of the Martha Lavinia Lagoon and surrounding bushland, King Island. In the foreground is a dog. Photograph taken by Archibald J. Campbell during a Field Naturalists Club of Victoria scientific expedition to King Island in November 1887.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||200 mm (Height), 250 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bushes, dogs, domestic animals, lakes, landscapes, cemeteries|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Original Caption:||Martha & Lavinia Lagoon near N.E. coast|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten title in black ink on backing board below the photograph: "Martha & Lavinia Lagoon (the lesser) near N.E. coast".
Handwritten MV catalogue reference in black pencil lower right: "MM 091199".
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; 10 in. x 8 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||King Island, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, Australia, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, Tasmania, Australia, 1887
Information ascertained from newspaper reports of the day preserved with the photograph in the album.
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Leisure Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria