Search the collections
Photograph - Original Site of McKay Smithy, Drummartin, Victoria, circa 1970s Reg. No: MM 91385
- Black and white photograph of the original site where Hugh Victor McKay's blacksmith was located in Drummartin.
This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company?s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
- Black and white photograph printed on matt paper. Handwritten inscription in blue ink on the reverse.
- Description Of Content:
- A pitch-roofed corrugated shed in a rural setting.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer (Possible) from Unknown
|Dimensions:||14.8 cm (Width), 9.6 cm (Length)|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Farm Buildings|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place Depicted:||Drummartin, via Elmore, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970|