Search the collections
Photograph - Wallaby Hunting, King Island, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91251
- One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.'
- Black and white photograph
- Description Of Content:
- Members of the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria on a scientific expedition to King Island, November 1887. The men are at their campsite, 'Eldorado', at Spencer Creek, Sea Elephant Bay, on the east coast of the island. Two of the men are skinning wallabies. There is a tent to the right and a timber hut on the left. The timber hut suggests that this was a campsite probably used by wallaby hunters over the years.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bushes, camping, horses, hunting, natural environment, natural environments, natural history, rifles, wallabies|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Arms Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|Original Caption:||'Eldorado' Camp Spencer Creek - Sea Elephant Bay - East Coast|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten title in black ink on backing board below the photograph: " 'Eldorado' Camp Spencer Creek - Sea Elephant Bay - East Coast".
Handwritten MV catalogue reference in black pencil lower right: "MM 091251".
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||King Island, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, Australia, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, Australia, 1887
Information ascertained from newspaper reports of the day preserved with the photograph in the album.
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Arms Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Leisure Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria