Search the collections
Photograph - Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria Expedition Group, King Island, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91272
- One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.'
- Black and white photograph mounted on off-white card in bound album.
- Description Of Content:
- Group photograph of the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria on a scientific expedition to King Island, November 1887.
Pictured are [back row left to right]: G. A. Heartland, F. N. Ingawells, M. Sheppard, H. John, W. Hattom, J. Nixon, J. N. McKibbon; [middle row]: C. French, A. Coles, C. Lane, Professor Spencer, Dr Lewellen, T. G. Campbell, E. Cornwall, H. W. Hunt, G. Sweet, Mons Musika [the cook]; [front row]: H. Hughes, Archibald J. Campbell [kneeling], W. Chisholm, C. Frost, D. Le Souef, E. Dombrain, Subinspector Deasey.
Two members of the group, C. Chandler and W. A. Sayer are absent and are the men probably taking this photograph.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||bushes, camping, horses, natural environment, natural environments, natural history|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|Secondary Classification:||Images (To Be Classified)|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Original Caption:||Expedition Group|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten title in black ink on backing board below the photograph: " Expedition Group / G A Heartland, F N Ingawells, M Sheppard, H John, W Hattom, J Nixon, J N McKibbon, C French, A Coles, C Lane, Professor Spencer, Dr Lewellen, T G Campbell, E Cornwall, H W Hunt, G Sweet, Mons Musika [the cook], H Hughes, A J Campbell [kneeling], W Chisholm, C Frost, D Le Souef, E Dombrain, Subinspector Deasey, C Chandler [absent], W A Sayer [absent]".
Handwritten MV catalogue reference in black pencil lower right: "MM 091272".
|People Depicted:||Heartland, G A; Ingawells, F N; Sheppard, M; John, H; Hattom, W; Nixon, J; McKibbon, J N; French, C; Coles, A; Lane, C; Spencer [Professor]; Lewellen, [Dr]; Campbell, T G|
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||King Island, Bass Strait, Tasmania, Australia, 1887|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, Australia, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, 1887
Information ascertained from newspaper reports of the day preserved with the photograph in the album.
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Leisure Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria