Search the collections
Photograph - Steamer Lady Loch, New Year Islands, 1887 Reg. No: MM 91282
- One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also includes maps of King Island in the inside front cover and back page and numerous newspaper clippings relating to the expedition. One of the newspaper clippings, written by one of the members of the party, documents the mission of the expedition thus: 'It is our intention, before the introduction of numerous foreign plants and animals rendered it impossible to do so, to ascertain as precisely as we could in the short time at our disposal the fauna and flora indigenous to the island.'
- Black and white photograph mounted on off-white card in bound album.
- Description Of Content:
- The steamer 'Lady Loch' anchored off the coast of King Island, Bass Strait. In the foreground are large boulders on the shoreline and in the distance are New Year Islands. Photograph taken by Archibald J. Campbell during an expedition by the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria to King Island, November 1887. The 'Lady Loch' was carrying the party of field naturalists to King Island having departed Port Melbourne on November 2 of that year.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Museum Victoria Museum Archive, 2006
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||natural environment, natural environments, natural history, seascapes, ships|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887, Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889, Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929), A.J. Campbell Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Steam Power|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Original Caption:||Steamer 'Lady Loch' anchored off New Year Islands|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten title in black ink on backing board below the photograph: " Steamer 'Lady Loch' anchored off New Year Islands.".
Handwritten MV catalogue reference in black pencil lower right: "MM 091282".
|Organisations Depicted:||Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.|
|Photographer:||Archibald Campbell, 1887|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, 1887|
This item is part of the following themes:
- The Field Naturalist Trip to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Exploration to King Island, 1887
- Field Naturalists Explorations Party to King Island, 1889
- Archibald James Campbell, Naturalist (1853-1929)
- A.J. Campbell Collection
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Transport Collection
- Field Naturalists Club of Victoria