Search the collections
Photograph - Hubert Opperman, Barnet Glass Road Race, Tasmania, Framed, 1922 Reg. No: HT 17184
- Metal framed photograph featuring an image of a youthful Hubert Opperman standing with his bicycle. He is wearing his riding uniform and a sash that was presented to him for being the fastest time champion in the Barnet Glass Road Race from Launceston to Hobart in 1922.
The collection of photographs graphically documents the successes of Opperman, particularly overseas in France in the late 1920s & early 1930s. The postcards produced for commercial sale illustrate the celebrity status that Opperman attained during his illustrious cycling career and also relate to his later career has a Marketing Director for the Australian company that produced the famous 'Malvern Star' brandname cycles.
- Decorative metal frame that contains a black and white image of Hubert Opperman standing with his bicycle wearing a sash. A lush garden is in the background.
Frame has a card backing board with a faux wood print and hinged fold-out stand. It is attached to the metal frame via four metal tabs.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Sir Hubert Opperman (1904-1996) was one of Australia's most successful long distance cyclists. He won his first race in 1921, at the age of 17 and went on to win over 50 major road races in Australia, England and Europe. He also won hundreds of track events, earning a reputation as the `lap king'. In the process, he established dozens of world records.
- Description Of Content:
- Young man standing with his bicycle wearing a sash. His riding guernsey features a star and he is located in an outdoor setting with trees and a garden in the background.
|Dimensions:||162 mm (Height), 113 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||sport, cycling, racing, bicycle racing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Transport Collection, Hubert Ferdinand Opperman, Cyclist & Politican (1904-1996)|
|Secondary Classification:||Cycle Racing|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten text on reverse of frame in black ink reads: 'After Launceston / -Hobart / Grandma's / garden / 1922'.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Person Depicted:||Sir Hubert Opperman, Tasmania, Australia, 1922|
|Date Inscribed:||Tasmania, Australia, 1922|
This item is part of the following themes: