Search the collections
Photograph - Hubert Opperman, 'Souvenir of Oppy's 1000 Mile Marathon', Framed, circa 1932-34 Reg. No: HT 17183
- Wooden framed photograph featuring an image of Hubert Opperman on his bicycle flanked by two pace motorcyclists, Bob Finlay and Bruce Small. Printed text below the image notes the records broken and mileage covered by Opperman as well as the printed signatures of the three men.
The collection of photographs graphically documents the successes of Opperman, particularly overseas in France in the late 1920s & early 1930s. The postcards produced for commercial sale illustrate the celebrity status that Opperman attained during his illustrious cycling career and also relate to his later career has a Marketing Director for the Australian company that produced the famous 'Malvern Star' brandname cycles.
- Wooden frame painted brown that contains a black and white image of Hubert Opperman on his bicycle flanked by two pace motorcyclists, Bob Finlay and Bruce Small. Printed white text includes the names and printed signature of each man as well as Opperman's records and achievements.
Frame has glass.
Label affixed to reverse of frame has maker's details in printed red text.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Sir Hubert Opperman (1904-1996) was one of Australia's most successful long distance cyclists. He won his first race in 1921, at the age of 17 and went on to win over 50 major road races in Australia, England and Europe. He also won hundreds of track events, earning a reputation as the `lap king'. In the process, he established dozens of world records.
- Description Of Content:
- Hubert Opperman on a bicycle flanked by Bob Finlay and Bruce Small sitting on motorcycles. Opperman wears a dark and light cycling outfit and leather helmet whilst the motorcyclists wear long, dark overcoats and leather helmets.
|Dimensions:||215 mm (Height), 314 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||sport, motor cycles, cycling, racing, bicycle racing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Transport Collection, Hubert Ferdinand Opperman, Cyclist & Politican (1904-1996)|
|Secondary Classification:||Cycle Racing|
|Inscriptions:||Printed white text on image reads: 'Souvenir of / "OPPY'S" / 1,000 MILE / MARATHON / RECORDS BROKEN AND MILEAGE COVERED / 2 HRS' WORLDS MOTORPACE RECORD. "OPPY'S" MILEAGE FIGURES / 2 HRS. 107 MILE 254 YARDS.'
Further text follows.
Printed red text affixed to label on reverse of frame reads: 'Pictures of Distinction from G.D.C. / "Geelong's Centre of Decoration" / No. Size. / Title / Artist / GEELONG DECORATING CO. PTY. LTD.'
Further text follows.
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Person Depicted:||Sir Hubert Opperman, Victoria, Australia, circa 1932|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Bob Finlay, Victoria, Australia, circa 1932|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Bruce Small, Victoria, Australia, circa 1932|
|Framer:||Geelong Decorating Co. Pty. Ltd., Geelong, Victoria, Australia, circa 1932|