Search the collections
Passport - Issued to Kateryna Caurs, Commonwealth of Australia, 28 Aug 1986 Reg. No: HT 14879
- Australian Passport issued by the Commonwealth of Australia to Kateryna Caurs on 28 August 1986.
Kateryna Caurs (nee Pimenow) was born on 7 July 1915 in Luzk, Poland. She grew up firstly in the Ukraine and then in Russia, where she studied mechanical engineering at the Moscow Technical Institute. From 1946 to 1949 Katerina worked with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) and later as a clerk for the International Refugee Organisation (IRO). In 1950 Kateryna and her mother migrated to Australia. Due to her degree and previous work in Russia and Germany, Kateryna was able to work as a mechanical engineer once in Australia. She married Latvian immigrant Alexander Caurs in 1959.
Alexander was born in Latvia on 12 July 1926, he migrated to Australia in 1948, arriving in Sydney aboard the 'Charlton Sovereign' on 29 October. Alexander worked as a fitter, and was living in Camberwell when he was naturalised in 1959. He married Kateryna Pimenow the same year on the 10th July. His parent's Peter and Nadeshda Caurs migrated to Australia in 1950, although they appear to have left in 1956. From 22 August 1966 to 21 August 1970 he worked as a storeman for the Commonwealth of Australia Department of Works.
- Blue covered passport with Australian Coat of Arms on Cover. 32 pages. Inside to booklet text is in black print with personal details in black pen. Several pages contain red and black official stamps.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Caurs collection represents the experiences of wartime dislocation and post-war immigration of a family from three cultural backgrounds, Polish, Latvian and Ukrainian. The principle story represented in the collection is that of Kateryna Caurs (nee Pimenow) and is one not often told, that of a professional educated woman, a mechanical engineer, whose qualifications were recognised in Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Bequest from (Estate of) Mrs Kateryna Caurs
|Dimensions:||10.70 cm (Width), 15.30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, settlement, identifications, polish communities, polish immigration, ukrainian immigration, russian immigration, 1 or 1 1, 1 1, 1 and 1 1, or 1 1--, order by 1000, or a a|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Naturalisation & Citizenship|
|Inscriptions:||Black print. Personal details in black type. Red and black official stamps. Signature in blue pen.|
|Issued To:||Mrs Kateryna Caurs, Australia, 28 Aug 1986|
|Issued By:||Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 28 Aug 1986|