Search the collections
Certificate of Service - Issued to Alexander Caurs, Commonwealth Department of Works, 21 Aug 1970 Reg. No: HT 14859
- Certificate of Service issued to Alexander Caurs by the Department of Works, Commonwealth of Australia, dated 21 August 1970. It details that Alexander worked as a storeman between 22 August 1966 to 21 August 1970 and has resigned. It has been signed by both Alexander Caus and W A Ozanne (A/G Director of Works).
Kateryna Caurs (nee Pimenow) was born on 7 July 1915 in Luzk, Poland. She grew up firstly in the Ukraine and then in Russia, where she studied mechanical engineering at the Moscow Technical Institute. From 1946 to 1949 Katerina worked with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) and later as a clerk for the International Refugee Organisation (IRO). In 1950 Kateryna and her mother migrated to Australia. Due to her degree and previous work in Russia and Germany, Kateryna was able to work as a mechanical engineer once in Australia. She married Latvian immigrant Alexander Caurs in 1959.
Alexander was born in Latvia on 12 July 1926, he migrated to Australia in 1948, arriving in Sydney aboard the 'Charlton Sovereign' on 29 October. Alexander worked as a fitter, and was living in Camberwell when he was naturalised in 1959. He married Kateryna Pimenow the same year on the 10th July. His parent's Peter and Nadeshda Caurs migrated to Australia in 1950, although they appear to have left in 1956. From 22 August 1966 to 21 August 1970 he worked as a storeman for the Commonwealth of Australia Department of Works.
- Thick white paper with blue print, black typed text and signatures in pen.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Caurs collection represents the experiences of wartime dislocation and post-war immigration of a family from three cultural backgrounds, Polish, Latvian and Ukrainian. The principle story represented in the collection is that of Kateryna Caurs (nee Pimenow) and is one not often told, that of a professional educated woman, a mechanical engineer, whose qualifications were recognised in Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Bequest from (Estate of) Mrs Kateryna Caurs
|Dimensions:||20.30 cm (Width), 25.30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, settlement, identifications, polish communities, polish immigration, ukrainian immigration, russian immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Settlement - Employment|
|Tertiary Classification:||training & employment records|
|Inscriptions:||Text: Form W P 9/COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA/DEPARTMENT OF WORKS/Certificate of Service/Name (in full) Alexander CAURS/Date of commencement 22.8.66/Date of ceasing 21.8.70/Position occupied at cessation Storeman/Reason for ceasing duty Resignation/Services Satisfactory.|
|Issued By:||Commonwealth of Australia Department of Works, Australia, 21 Aug 1970|
|Issued To:||Alexander Caurs, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 21 Aug 1970|