Search the collections
Certificate - Issued to Kateryna Pymenowa, International Refugee Organization, 23 Jan 1948 Reg. No: HT 14888
- Certificate issued to Kateryna Pymenowa (also Pimenow) by the Preparatory Commission for International Refugee Organization (IRO), US Zone, Germany, dated 23 January 1948. The certificate states that Kateryna Pymenowa has been tested in construction and maintenance and has been classified as a draftsman and technician.
Kateryna Caurs (nee Pimenow) was born on 7 July 1915 in Luzk, Poland. She grew up firstly in the Ukraine and then in Russia, where she studied mechanical engineering at the Moscow Technical Institute. From 1946 to 1949 Katerina worked with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) and later as a clerk for the International Refugee Organisation (IRO). In 1950 Kateryna and her mother migrated to Australia. Due to her degree and previous work in Russia and Germany, Kateryna was able to work as a mechanical engineer once in Australia. She married Latvian immigrant Alexander Caurs in 1959.
Alexander was born in Latvia on 12 July 1926, he migrated to Australia in 1948, arriving in Sydney aboard the 'Charlton Sovereign' on 29 October. Alexander worked as a fitter, and was living in Camberwell when he was naturalised in 1959. He married Kateryna Pimenow the same year on the 10th July. His parent's Peter and Nadeshda Caurs migrated to Australia in 1950, although they appear to have left in 1956. From 22 August 1966 to 21 August 1970 he worked as a storeman for the Commonwealth of Australia Department of Works.
- Yellow paper with black print. Personal details typed in black, three signatures in black pen and a black IRO stamp.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Caurs collection represents the experiences of wartime dislocation and post-war immigration of a family from three cultural backgrounds, Polish, Latvian and Ukrainian. The principle story represented in the collection is that of Kateryna Caurs (nee Pimenow) and is one not often told, that of a professional educated woman, a mechanical engineer, whose qualifications were recognised in Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Bequest from (Estate of) Mrs Kateryna Caurs
|Dimensions:||14.70 cm (Width), 21.20 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, polish communities, polish immigration, ukrainian immigration, russian immigration, settlement, identifications|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) & International Refugee Organisation (IRO)|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Inscriptions:||Text: PREPARATORY COMMISSION FOR THE INTERNATIONAL REFUGEE/ORGANIZATION/US ZONE GERMANY/AREA TEAM 1041, ANSBACH.|
|Issued By:||International Refugee Organization, Germany, 23 Jan 1948|
|Issued To:||Mrs Kateryna Caurs, Germany, 23 Jan 1948|
This item is part of the following themes: