Search the collections
Letter - S. Whitehead to George White, Approval of Assisted Passage, London, 26 Jan 1912 Reg. No: HT 16868
- Letter to Mr George White in Stockport England from S. Whitehead, Official Representative for Artisan Immigration, dated 26 January 1912. The letter is advising that the application for assisted passage to Melbourne has been approved, pending medical certificate, spousal consent and ability to depart on the SS Gothic from Tilbury on 25th or 28th February 1912. It refers transport arrangements to James MacLeod, Land Settlement and Emigration Commissioner, including sending passage fare of 6 pounds.
- Single page letter with letterhead titled: 'Victorian Artisan and Factory Workers' Emigration Department.' Address Victorian Government Office, Melbourne Place, Strand, London and dated 26/1/1912. Letter is typed and from S. Whitehead, Official Representative for Artisan Immigration
- Statement Of Significance:
- This small collection of documents traces the process of one man's application for artisan assisted passage, illustrating the agencies involved, the targeting of particular categories of migrants, and the assistance available to immigrants from the UK. It is a period when the states still controlled assisted migration selection and intake, prior to the Commonwealth assuming this responsibility in1921. The documents reflect the tenor of the era for proactive recruitment of migrants for the UK and the collaborative arrangements between immigration and related agents in Britain and Australia to encourage British migration.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Stephen White, 2007
|Dimensions:||30.20 cm (Height), 20.50 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, assisted immigration, immigrant voyages, correspondence, immigration policies, english immigration, immigration selection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, George White, English Migrant, 1912|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Inscriptions:||Text: Victorian Artisan and Factory Workers' Emigration Department/VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT OFFICE/MELBOURNE PLACE, STRAND/LONDON, W.C./26th January, 1912.|
|Sender:||S. Whitehead, London, England, Great Britain, 26 Jan 1912|
|Addressed To:||George White, Stockport, Cheshire, England, Great Britain, 26 Jan 1912|