Search the collections
Projector - A. Kershaw & Sons, Magic Lantern, 1890-1920 Reg. No: HT 26817
- Lantern projector, unfortunately incomplete, produced for use in scientific demonstrations. A. Kershaw and Sons (1888 - late 1960s) were manufacturers of scientific and electrical instruments based in Leeds, England. They specialised in providing projectors and lanterns for professional and scientific users.
An accompanying diagram indicates how the projector might have looked were it complete.
While the invention of the magic lantern is generally seen to be in the 17th century, its greatest popularity as an optical projector spans the late 18th century to the early decades of the 20th century. It was used both as a means of entertainment and education.
This lantern projector is part of the Francis Collection of pre-cinematic apparatus and ephemera, acquired by the Australian and Victorian Governments in 1975. David Francis was the curator of the National Film and Sound Archive of the British Film Institute as well as being a co-founder of the Museum of the Moving Image in London, which was operational between 1988 and 1999.
- Polished mahogany body with 4 ventilation holes along either sided along bottom of illumination chamber. Two side doors along right side of body. Back door has viewing aperture into illumination chamber, Large circular hole on the top at front of lantern body. Smaller circular aperture behind and to the right of this. Half door at back of lantern body opens upwards. Japanned metal top and flat cowl. Metal lining to interior of illumination chamber.
Accompanying paper note.
- Acquisition Information:
- Loan & Subsequent Donation from Australian Film Institute (AFI)
|Dimensions:||369 mm (Height), 187 mm (Width), 515 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||projectors, magic lanterns, education, lantern projectors, scientific apparatus|
|Themes this item is part of:||Francis Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Audio-Visual Systems|
|Tertiary Classification:||image production equipment|
|Inscriptions:||on front of lantern body, paper sticker: '455'
on accompanying note, side1: 'BBC Television Enterprises/The British Broadcasting Corporation/BBC Television Centre London W12/BROADCASTS LONDON W1 INTERNATIONAL TELEX 22182 SHEPHERDS BUSH 8000'
on accompanying note, side 2. Hand-drawn diagram of lantern and: 'KERSHAW'
|Collector:||Mr David Francis, London, Middlesex, England, Great Britain, 1990|
|Manufacturer:||A. Kershaw & Sons, Leeds, England, Great Britain, 1888-1920|