Search the collections
Projector - Magic Lantern, circa 1880-1930 Reg. No: HT 26830
- Metal projector used to view lantern slides. It is by an unknown manufacturer. It comes complete with a wooden carry box.
While the invention of the magic lantern is generally seen to be in the 17th century, its greatest popularity as an optical projector spans the late 18th century to the early decades of the 20th century. It was used both as a means of entertainment and education.
This lantern projector is part of the Francis Collection of pre-cinematic apparatus and ephemera, acquired by the Australian and Victorian Governments in 1975. David Francis was the curator of the National Film and Sound Archive of the British Film Institute as well as being a co-founder of the Museum of the Moving Image in London, which was operational between 1988 and 1999.
- Rectangular wooden box with hinged top lid. Two hasp closure. Black metal lantern projector. Roof has rectangular aperture for chimney/cowl (missing). Brass lens tube with rack and pinion focus. Brass lens swivel cover. Circular cutouts along outer body over condenser housing. Along bottom of each lateral side decorative die cut ventilation holes to illumination chamber. Right lateral side of lantern body has side-hinged door to illumination chamber with circular blue glass peep hole. Brass coloured wing handle to door. At back of lantern body top hinged 3/4 door to illumination chamber. Interior of illumination chamber has slides at each lateral side for illuminant. Condenser insitu.
- Acquisition Information:
- Loan & Subsequent Donation from Australian Film Institute (AFI)
|Dimensions:||230 mm (Height), 135 mm (Width), 425 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||projectors, magic lanterns, pre-cinema moving images, lantern projectors|
|Themes this item is part of:||Francis Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Audio-Visual Systems|
|Tertiary Classification:||image projection equipment|
|Inscriptions:||On rectangular paper sticker on roof of lantern: 'C'
On rectangular piece of paper found within lantern illumination chamber, handwritten: 'No 16/Iron and brass. Requires paraffin/burner. Restore for sale/or break'
On circular sticker on right lateral side of box: '460'
On circular sticker on right lateral side of box, handwritten: '16'
|Collector:||Mr David Francis, London, Middlesex, England, Great Britain, 1990|
|Date Made:||circa 1880-1930|