Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Jug - Whiteware, Green Transfer-Printed, Floral Pattern, Davenport, Staffordshire, England, 1828-1887 (Fragment) Reg. No: LL 069144 1
- This reconstructed pitcher was excavated at the Commonwealth Block site between 1988 and 2003. It was manufactured by W. Davenport & Co in Staffordshire, England between 1805 and 1883.
Uncovering past food practices.
Of all the archaeological material uncovered in the Little Lon excavations, the remnants of eating and drinking are the most numerous. Broken plates, bowls, cups and cutlery were thrown into rubbish piles with smashed jars that once held jam and pickles, and jugs that held water or cordial. Shells from oysters, abalone and coconuts were tossed in with bones from mutton, beef, rabbit and pork. Pips and seeds from fruit and vegetables were also added to the piles. These objects offer clues to the food consumed by residents of Little Lon, and are important in the rediscovery of a people, place and time long vanished.
- Description for parent record:
80 fragments of ceramic jug/ pitcher. Teal water jug/ pitcher has a flared rim and spout with a strap handle. Glaze is neutral with turquoise transfer printed underglaze in floral design. Colour is AS T63, M2.5B 2/6. Manufacturers mark printed on back of base reads 'DAVENPORT' in a semi- circle with '14' printed above. Originally thought to have matching bowl.
Manufacturer: W. Davenport & Co. possibly 1814 as the number '14' is printed above name, Longport, Staffordshire Potteries
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Heritage Victoria, 2005
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Dimensions:||363 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width), 210 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||making history - little lonsdale street|
|Themes this item is part of:||Little Lon, Little Lon Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Trench Unit Number:||57/13/80|
|Inscriptions:||On base: 'DAVENPORT / 14' (TP) and impressed anchor.|
|Manufacturer:||Davenport & Co., 1828-1887|