Search the collections
Crate - H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, to W. Anderson, Plaster Moulds of Relief Profile of H. V. McKay, 1926-1928 Reg. No: HT 14223
- Crate containing two plaster moulds of left hand side relief profiles of HV McKay by Wallace Anderson, made between 1926 and 1928. The crate appears to be a recycled travelling crate, originally used for machine parts. The exterior of the crate is stamped with 'Melbourne' and 'Option Sydney'. Two German train tickets were found in the crate amongst the packing material, 'from Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof to Hamburg'. The plaster moulds were protected by shredded pieces of coloured office paper.
Wallace Anderson worked as an artist for the Australian War Museum, located in an annexe of the Melbourne Exhibition Building from 1920-1930. In 1930 he worked independently as a sculptor, and between 1944-46 he moved to Canberra to work again for the Australian War Memorial. In 1947 he resumed private practice in Melbourne. Anderson's most famous work is 'Simpson and his Donkey' (1935), and a series of busts of nine former Australian prime ministers located in the Ballarat Botanic Gardens (1939-45).
This crate forms part of the H. V. McKay Collection, which includes an extensive collection of business records, photographs, film, trade publications and artefacts relating the H.V. McKay and his agricultural enterprise.
- Wooden crate printed with black ink and with envelope nailed to front. A McKay Pty Ltd transit tag is tacked to the side panel with the hand written address.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Massey Ferguson Iseki Australia Ltd
|Dimensions:||181 mm (Height), 415 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||artworks, manufacturing, portraits, royal exhibition building, busts, agricultural implement works|
|Themes this item is part of:||Wallace Anderson, Sculptor (1888-1975), H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on front of crate: 'Fragile/[Zer]brechlich/2508/M/B/14/A/G/Melbourne/option/Sydney'
On tag on side of crate: 'FROM/H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd./SUNSHINE/To Mr W. Anderson/Studio/Exhibition Buildings/Fitzroy'
Handwritten on front of envelope: 'Plaster Cast of/Bronze Bust/late Mr H. V. McKay./Not to be opened until another/bust is required CMcK.' [Cecil McKay]
|Date Made:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1926-1928|
|Sender:||H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, 1926-1928|
|Addressed To:||Mr Wallace Anderson, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, 1926-1928|
|Person Named:||Mr Hugh McKay - H.V. McKay, 1926-1928|
|Person Named:||Mr Cecil McKay, Victoria, Australia, 1926-1928|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Wallace Anderson, Sculptor (1888-1975)
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection